On today’s episode, we have the 2017 Georgia Teacher of the Year - Casey Bethel
. Casey is the teacher we all want, and his authentic voice and love for the profession is magnified throughout this episode. We learn about his path to the teaching profession, his love of science, his work vs effort rubric, and the book that changed his paradigm to elevate his love of reading. Casey currently teaches AP Biology, Biology, and Physics at New Manchester High School
in Douglasville, Georgia. Before that, he taught at Martin Luther King High School
in Lithonia, Georgia. He graduated from Fort Valley State University
with a degree in Biology (Pre-Med) and he received his Masters in Agronomy which is (plant genetics) from the University of Georgia
. So if you’re listening to this on your way to work, laying by the pool, or while you’re doing chores you’re about to be enlightened by another great leader in his field.
- Icebreakers (This or That)
- Moment Casey decided to become a teacher
- Teacher influences on his love of Science
- Favorite Failures
- "I had to take the time to learn how to teach." Casey Bethel
- "We made each other a promise that we would teacher with our classroom doors open." Casey Bethel
- Building relationships or Knowing your subject
- Tony Wagner & James Altucher
- Is the the public education system obsolete?
- Something unique about Casey
- Casey's outlook on life from past to future
- Jobs before teaching
- "Teaching is by far the most fulfilling thing I have ever done." Casey Bethel
- Expert in?
- Better at?
- What success looks like to Casey...
- Casey's third and fourth year teaching (I've got this)
- Teacher of the Year not once but twice
- Goals after winning Teacher of the Year in Georgia
- Writing process
- Teachers of the Year in Washington D.C.
- Public Speaking processes
- Book that changed his paradigm
- Habits to add or subtract
- Grade Versus Effort (student assessment)
- Grade Versus Effort Rubric (Attachment)
- "As my effort in class goes up so does my grade..." Casey Bethel
- Rituals or Routines
- Says the same thing every day to his class before and after it begins
- "Some of them know they're my mentors and some of them don't" Casey Bethel
- Asking a colleague to be his mentor
- Hidden Talents
- Finding the cure for Alzheimer's
- Authentic Biochemistry Research
- Book Recommendations
- Theme Music
- Question Casey wished I would have asked
Podcast mentioned in the show
Books and Links mentioned in the show
Where to find Casey
Sponsor April Mass Photography
⇐ Get candid & fun photography at 10% off if you mention this podcast Review the podcast on iTunes
Music Song: I dunno (ft. J Lang, Morusque) Artist: Grapes Album: ccMixter Thank you for checking out this episode of the Teacher Tunnel Podcast. Please share these free episodes with friends and colleagues to connect a wider audience. Also, if you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick 5-Star review of the show on Apple Podcasts by clicking on the link below. Reviewing the podcast gives us the opportunity to widen our community, in turn, give more value to many.
Click Here to subscribe via Apple Podcasts Click Here to subscribe via Stitcher Click Here for the TuneIn Radio